Education, Parenting, and Homeschooling

Elementary Menu: Our Kids Are Eating What?

Yesterday I’d mentioned a couple of items about schooling and daycare.

The kindergarten assessment survey and toddler daily schedule.

While it may seem only appropriate for those parents with children in that phase of life, that wasn’t my objective in posting.

One, I wanted to start some conversations.

Having worked for more than a couple of schools over the course of a couple of years-

Web Hosting

Not to mention, having had children in school for 6 years, plus daycare prior to that-

I know a thing or two (or at least I’d like to think I do) about what my kids do while there.

But not every parent is as aware, as not nearly every parent works for the district their child attends.

I was very blessed to be given such an opportunity, and it was a great learning tool. The experience was invaluable.

But more than conversing and sharing for the sake of sharing, I also wanted to provide a couple of ideas/templates for parents who may be considering home schooling or opening their own home daycare center.

Neither is really above any of us. And it’s certainly out of no one’s “pay grade” if you have a passion for helping raise the next generation.

In fact, I think parenting is the most important job one can have, and also hands down the most challenging.

Right next to making a marriage work.

But that’s me and my opinion, it’s by no means the word of God. And it’s certainly debatable.

Web Hosting

So back to the food.

Elementary menus.

What are our kids eating? Is it veggies with hummus? Is it everyday pizza? Yogurt plates and salads maybe?

Those are all fairly regular options at my kids’ schools.

But beyond the basics, is it always healthy? With all the hype about GMOs and organic food, are our kids eating artificial everything straight out of an easy bake oven and microwave?

I certainly hope not. But then, I do remember that when I was a young one, I took a lunch 99% of my days. And the other 1%? I ate pizza or pbj.

End of story. It was simple.

I was simple. So have the menus changed in the least?

Here’s a sample menu from one of my children’s schools so you can decide for yourselves.

Bon Appetit!

Web Hosting

 

Breakfast: Week 1

Monday  Chicken and/or Sausage Biscuit, Honey Bun, or Cinnamon Roll

Tuesday  Pancakes, Waffles, or French Toast

Wednesday Chicken and/or Sausage Biscuit, Honey Bun, or Cinnamon Roll

Thursday Breakfast Pizza

Friday Chicken and/or Sausage Biscuit, Honey Bun, or Cinnamon Roll

Okay, I’ll stop right here for a second and spare you the suspense. The breakfast menu for this particular month changed ZERO.

This here? Same every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

So three days a week, my kids were eating a honey bun, cinnamon roll, or biscuit as their entree.

Web Hosting

Although, they did tell me that cold cereal with milk was always an option, too.

Let’s skip ahead to Lunch.

 

Lunch: Week 1

Monday Pizzeria Choice, Steak Sandwich w/Gravy, Grilled Chicken Salad (veg. option)

Steamed Broccoli, Glazed Carrots, Garden Salad, Pineapple

Tuesday Chicken Tenders w/Roll, Mac n Cheese

Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes, Veggie Dippers, Peaches

Wednesday Corn Dog Bites, Orange Chicken w/Rice, Chef Salad (veg. option)

Carrot Dippers, Veggie Dippers, California Veggies, Mandarin Oranges

Web Hosting

Thursday Fiesta Nachos, Taco, Taco Salad (veg. option)

Corn, Refried Beans, Salsa, Lettuce/Tomato, Pears

Friday Chicken Sandwich, Pulled BBQ Pork Sandwich

French Fries, Baked Beans, Lettuce/Tomato/Pickle, Applesauce

Ok. Summary and spoiler here.

You get either: Pizza. Burger. Chicken Sandwich. Chicken Tenders. Hot Dog/Corn Dog. Nachos/Tacos/Quesadillas…..

And then some veggies or fruit, which sounds good to me.

But in spoiling the ending again, this doesn’t really change all that much from week to week.

It doesn’t.

They swap out a cheeseburger day with a crispito (huh?) in cheese sauce, but that’s about it.

Web Hosting

The entrees really aren’t that healthy. Or yummy sounding. At least not to me.

But…

In reading to the side of the menu, yogurt plates, pbjs, deli sandwiches, fruit, and milk are always an additional option.

That’s at least four or more options a day.

That’s pretty good.

Better than at my house.

What can I say? I’m not a short order chef- and I don’t want to spend more hours in the kitchen than I do already.

So they’ll take it how I make it, or have the option of fruit and yogurt here, too.

I thought this would again, be handy to have if planning playdates, opening your own childcare center at home, babysitting relatives for a few days while the parents are out of town, or hey, it’s a decent meal plan at the very least. Affordable, already planned out, just make the grocery list.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares
%d bloggers like this: